Princess Juliana International Airport

Princess Juliana International Airport

Built in 1942, initially as a US military airstrip during World War II, Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA was transformed into a civil airport in 1943. The first civil flight was carried out by Royal Dutch Airline KLM with the "Kolibrie" on December, 3 1943.


In 1964, the Airport was remodeled and relocated. A new terminal building and an operational Control Tower were constructed; the runway angle was changed to a heading of 090/270 degrees with a length of 1400 meters.

Princess Juliana International Airport is the airport of St. Maarten. It is located 15 kilometers northwest of Philipsburg and is operated by Princess Juliana International Operating Company NV (PJIAE), a limited liability company, which is wholly owned by PJIA Holding N.V. which in turn is fully owned by the Island Government of the Island Territory of St. Maarten. Under a concession granted to PJIAE by Government for a period of twenty years - effective January 3, 1997- PJIAE manages, operates, maintains and develops the Princess Juliana International Airport.

The Princess Juliana International Airport serves more than the community of St. Maarten and its tourism industry. The airport is the hub that feeds St. Martin and surrounding islands as well.

PJIAE started as a small military base that was built in 1942, and was converted into a civilian airport in 1943, the first in this part of the Caribbean. It has played an important role in the socio-economic transition of St. Maarten, from an agriculturally based economy into one of the major tourist destinations in the Caribbean.

Today PJIA is the second busiest airport in the North Eastern Caribbean, in terms of aircraft movements, behind San Juan, Puerto Rico. PJIA is the single most important strategic asset of St. Maarten.

Mission Statement

"To be the regional leader in providing safe, secure, quality and profitable airport services that contribute to the general economic and tourism development of St. Maarten / St. Martin and the region we serve"

Location

Princess Juliana International Airport
P.O. Box 2027 Simpson Bay
St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
Netherlands Antilles

Contact Info
Telephone: 
(599)546-7542
Email: 
Contact Form

Those who browsed 'Princess Juliana International Airport' also found interest in following airports . . .
  • Development of the aerodrome at Harewood commenced in 1936.

  • Malta International Airport plc was registered as a company on the 16th May 1991 (registration number C 12663) and commenced operations on 1st January 1992.

  • In 1958, official opening of traffic on runway, length 2000 m.

  • The first facility on the site now occupied by L.F. Wade International Airport was built between 1941 and 1943 as a joint US Army Air Forces (USAAF)/Royal Air Force (RAF) base named Kindley Field.

  • The Sunshine Coast Airport is owned, operated and managed by the Sunshine Coast Regional Council. It is the principal airport for the Sunshine Coast.

  • Ohrid St. Paul The Apostle Airport is a small tourist airport, providing apron air-parking space for 8 aircrafts from commercial aviation and 5 aircrafts for general aviation.

  • Edinburgh Airport is Scotland's capital airport.