Narsarsuaq Airport

Narsarsuaq Airport

The Airfield at Narsarsuaq was first built by The American Ministry of Defense as an army airbase. Construction began 6. Juli 1941, and the first aircraft landed 24. January 1942. The airbase with the code name "Bluie West One" had during World War II squadrons of PBY Catalinas and B-25 Mitchells with the assignment to escort allied convoys and track and destroy German submarines. A military hospital with 250 beds was completed in 1943, and during World War II the population was approximately 4.000 people.


Since January 1, 1988 the Narsarsuaq Airport has been operated by the Greenland Homerule, through the Greenland Airports Administration. Narsarsuaq has connections to Nuuk, Kangerlussuaq, and Reykjavík with smaller commuter planes, and to Copenhagen with Boeing 757s. Ice-observations are still based at Narsarsuaq and carried out with Ecureuils.

Location

Narsarsuaq Airport
Box 506
DK 3923 Narsarsuaq
Greenland

Contact Info
Telephone: 
(299) 665 266
Email: 
Contact Form

Those who browsed 'Narsarsuaq Airport' also found interest in following airports . . .
  • Greenland’s national airline, Greenland Air (name-change in 2002 to Air Greenland), was established in 1960.

  • In 1941 the British army officer Leo Maxton searched by plane the Faroe Islands for the most suitable place to build an airport.

  • Built in 1942, initially as a US military airstrip during World War II, Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA was transformed into a civil airport in 1943.

  • The first facility on the site now occupied by L.F. Wade International Airport was built between 1941 and 1943 as a joint US Army Air Forces (USAAF)/Royal Air Force (RAF) base named Kindley Field.

  • The 30`s saw active airport development and construction for domestic and Soviet republics throughout the country. The first airfield and airspace development of the Primorye region began in 1931.

  • Copenhagen Airports A/S is the listed company that owns and operates the airports at Kastrup and Roskilde.

  • On 10th January 1911, saw the official formation of a limited company, the "Hamburg Airship Hangar Company" (HLG).