Airport of Villanova d'Albenga S.p.A.

Airport of Villanova d'Albenga S.p.A.

The Airport of Villanova d’Albenga opened in 1922 in memory of Clemente Panero, medal for valour and sergeant observer,who died in the First World War. The runway, a compact lawn - was about 900 mt. long; at the two sides it was delimited by orange metallic cones and it was oriented southeastward/northwestward. The runway in macadam was built in 1937: it was the first one in Italy with an elastic paving. It was oriented eastwestward for 100°- 280 and was 1016X 60 mt. long. From 1937 and up to the end of the Second World War the airport was used as military base, headquarters of the Command of the 119th Recoinnance Squadron.


The runway in macadam, built in 1937, was the first one in Italy with an elastic paving. On 15th April 1947, the flight Rome Ciampino - Villanova d'Albenga marked the renewal of trade after the armistice; actually, among the passengers there were the Minister On. Brusasca and the Undersecretary On. Pelle. In 1948 the "Consorzio dei Fiori" (Flowers Cooperative) started its activity at the airport. Founded in 1947, its aim was transforming the present military airport into a civil airport for the transport of tourists, the freight of flowers and agricultural products. In the same year there was an upturn in industry, the planes used for tests - made by Piaggio Aeronautic Society - started to fly again, and the Aeroclub of Savona was re-established.

On 9th January 1950 the Interregional Meeting of Northern Italy airports was held in Genoa; the Airport of Villanova d'Albenga asked for a strenghtening of facilities (only in 1959/1960 the runway was extended to 1560 mt.). On 20th September 195, during the 2nd Meeting on Civil Aviation, the Italian Federation, after seeing the importance of the Riviera economy, asked for the institution of regular services between the airport of Villanova d'Albenga and the airports in Germany, Denmark and Sweden, as well as those of Milan and Rome for the freight of fresh cut flowers.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Location

Airport of Villanova d'Albenga S.p.A.
Viale Gen, Disegna
Villanova d'Albenga (Sv) 17038
Italy

Contact Info
Telephone: 
0182 582919
Email: 
Contact Form

Albenga Weather info
Clear sky

Location of this weather station:
2.0 km West

Reported on:
Thu, 2017-12-28 09:50


Those who browsed 'Airport of Villanova d'Albenga S.p.A.' also found interest in following airports . . .
  • Aeroporti di Roma S.p.A.

  • In 1919 when the England to Australia air race was announced, Darwin Airport was established in the suburb of Parap to act as the Australian Terminal.

  • Tallinn Airport Ltd operates and develops airports belonging to the company in order to ensure the provision of service of aircrafts, passengers and goods on the ground.

  • Tennant Creek Airport is a small regional airport located near Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.

  • On June 26th, 1914, the first airplane takes off from Graz Airport.

  • The inauguration of Sion Airport took place in June 1935. The same year, the local Aero-club received a mandate from the City of Sion to be responsible for the operation of the Airport.

  • Ostend-Bruges International Airport is ideally situated in the heart of Europe.